The village was originally served by a school situated opposite St Nicholas Church in Uphill Road South and is thought to be from the late 18th century. That school house served the village until the Primary School was established on its present site in Old Church Road in 1872.
Originally it was a church school built by the Knyfton family, the local estate owners at the time residing in Uphill Castle later known as Uphill Manor. The family crest of the Knyfton's adorns the Master's house, which typical Victorian design was originally built to accommodate 150 children.The free stone bell tower is a distinctive feature.
The earliest surviving records of the school show an average attendance in 1889 of 107 and a Government grant being paid of £91.17s 16d. During the Second World War the school day was divided to enable evacuees from London to be taught there. The school population continued to grow with temporary classrooms being installed, many continuing to be used today.
In 1989 a purpose built block was added containing three large classrooms and facilities to enable school meals to be served on the premises for the first time. In 2020 the school converted to an Academy as part of the Cabot Learning Federation and by 2022 the number of children on the school register has risen to over 316 with 11 classes and over 30 members of staff.
Standards in the school have continued to rise from the annual Government Report of 30th April 1889 showing that ''The general result of the examination in elementary subjects is very satisfactory and credible" to the OFSTED Inspection of 2018 which found Pupils thoroughly enjoy being at school (and) are learning well. They talk enthusiastically about their work."